It’s no big surprise that baby items are some of the most popular crochet projects. They’re highly sought after for all the following reasons:
- A new baby needs a complete wardrobe of clothing, plus blankets, hats, accessories, booties and toys — most of which can easily be crocheted.
- Since baby items are small, they work up fast — which is good news, since the completed projects are often needed as last-minute baby shower gifts.
- Baby patterns are important charity crochet projects. For many premature babies (AKA “preemies”), it’s impossible to find ready-to-wear baby clothing that’s small enough, so charity crocheters take the initiative of making tiny baby clothes, hats and booties that are just the right size for these little darlings.
If you’re interested in crocheting some lovely baby clothes and accessories, I invite you to consider this list featuring my picks for some of the best baby crochet pattern books I’ve come across.
Please keep in mind that there are many lovely baby crochet pattern books on the market other than these. In most cases, I’ve included these specific books on the list because I’ve had fantastic results with actually crocheting at least one of the projects included, or at least enough of a project that I can confidently give you an objective recommendation for the book. In a few other cases, I haven’t actually crocheted the patterns, but I do own the books, and have spent enough time looking at them and going through the instructions that I feel confident in recommending the books to you.
Would you be interested in learning how to crochet bunches of cute and trendy baby booties, baby shoes, slippers, sandals and boots? If so, you’re going to want to grab a copy of Super Cute Crochet for Little Feet: 30 Stylish Shoes, Booties, and Sandals to Crochet for Babies by Vita Apala.
Learn More About This Book:
- Click here to check out our book review of this title.
- Click here to shop for this book at Knitpicks.
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.com.
By Darla Sims; Published by Leisure Arts
This book made it onto our list of “best baby pattern books” for several reasons:
- The designs presented in this book are extremely practical, and they’re also beautiful.
- This book is an excellent value for the money you spend on it. You get patterns for making 5 different baby layette sets. Each set includes one baby blanket, one baby hat, one baby sweater and one pair of baby booties — for a total of 20 baby crochet projects all together.
- You’ll find something worthwhile to make for babies of either gender in this book. Some of these crochet projects are unisex and some are better suited for baby girls.
- I enjoyed success with making 2 of the projects in this book, the “My Little Posy” baby hat and baby sweater. I want to make even more of the projects in this book.
- Check out our detailed book review of Dressing Up Baby.
- See more book reviews of this title posted at Amazon.com.
- Download the digital version (Kindle edition) of this book at Amazon.com
- Buy the softcover edition of the book at Amazon.com
- The book includes a broad variety of different types of patterns. All together, you get 23 patterns for making blankets, hats, sweaters, accessories, washcloths and décor items, some of which are unisex, some of which are suitable for baby boys, and some for baby girls.
- No matter how experienced or inexperienced you are with crochet, you’re likely to learn something interesting — and probably many interesting things — from this book.
- The projects are appealing to many crocheters, as I found out when I posted about this book in my craft blog on another website. More than 50 crafters commented on my blog post to let me know they liked one or more projects in the book.
- I enjoyed success with making one of the projects from this book, the “sunny bow baby headband.”
- Check out a book review of this title at Knittingandcrochet.net.
- See more book reviews posted at Amazon.com.
- Get more info about the book, or buy it at Amazon.
Learn More About This Book:
Tunisian Crochet for Baby
By Sharon Silverman; Published by Stackpole Books
Do you enjoy focusing your efforts on learning or perfecting one crochet `technique, while also having a collection of related patterns that utilize the same technique? I do! And it’s even better when you can achieve all that by buying only one book.
As you’d expect from this book’s title, in Tunisian Crochet for Baby, the technique in question is Tunisian crochet, and the patterns included in the book are all baby patterns. So if the above sounds like a winning combination, this could be a book you would enjoy adding to your library.
Tunisian crochet is a satisfying technique that works well for making baby clothes, baby blankets and all kinds of other accessories for little ones. The stitches are a bit different from traditional crochet stitches, with many of them being sleeker and less bumpy, yet still maintaining a significant amount of texture. These characteristics make Tunisian crochet stitches ideally suitable for use when working small baby projects.
This book made it onto my list of “best baby pattern books” for several reasons:
Learn More About This Book:
Tunisian Crochet Baby Blankets
By Sharon Silverman; Published by Leisure Arts
If you’re in need of a few new baby blanket patterns, this lovely crochet pattern book is worth considering. You can crochet any of the 5 baby blanket designs in this book using the Tunisian crochet technique.